Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is offered once a year to households that need assistance in paying their electric or gas bills. Last Year, HCAP helped 5,638 families apply for LIHEAP benefits!
Oahu residents can qualify for one of two programs :
Gas or Electric Bill Payment Assistance - An energy credit for households having difficulty paying their gas or electric bills.
Energy Crisis Intervention - Financial assistance for households whose electricity or gas has been or is scheduled to be shut off.
• Visit one of HCAP's five District Service Centers during LIHEAP application hours:
• Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 9 am - 12 noon
• Tuesdays: 9 am - 12 noon and 4:30 pm - 6 pm
• or call 521-4531 for more information.
YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS WHEN YOU APPLY:
1) PHOTO IDENTIFICATION (for all household members 18 years and older) Driver's License, State ID, or Passport
2) CURRENT ORIGINAL GAS OR ELECTRIC BILL Most current, original bill from Hawaiian Electric Company/HECO or the Gas Company/Gas Co. If utility subscriber is different from applicant, they must sign a required form and show ID.
3) SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS (verification for all household members)
4) PROOF OF RESIDENCE A document, other than the utility bill, showing that the applicant lives at the address listed on the bill. Ex: phone bill, doctor's bill.
5) PROOF OF AGE (for household members 60+ and children 0-5 years) Seniors (60+) and children (0-5 yrs) must show proof of age, for additional benefits. Photo I.D. or birth certificate are acceptable.
6) PROOF OF INCOME (for all household members 18 yrs & older) Bring all that apply: All Pay Stubs since January 2013; Self Employed General Taxes; Award Letters for Social Security, SSI, Unemployment; Scholarship Letter; etc.
7) PROOF OF ASSETS (current bank statements for all household members) Bring all that apply: Current bank statements for Saving, Checking, Credit Union, stocks and bonds, cash on hand, etc. Must be dated between June 1-28, 2013.
8) PROOF OF DISABILITY (Documentation required)
SIGNATURES REQUIRED FROM ALL ADULT HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS:
Everyone in the household (18 years and older), whether or not they are related to the applicant, must come to the HCAP location to sign the LIHEAP application