Senior Community Service Employment Program
33 South King Street, Suite 302
Honolulu, HI 96813
Google Map Link to HCAP Main Office
Honolulu Community Action Program, Inc. has been administering the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) for low-income seniors on Oahu for over five decades. SCSEP provides meaningful part-time subsidized “hands-on” training to low-income seniors aged 55 and older and assist program participants in finding full-time employment.
The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a federally-funded program under the Title V of the Older Americans Act. This program is administered by the State Department of Labor Workforce Development Division and services are provided by the Honolulu Community Action Program, Inc. (HCAP).
Many seniors are approaching retirement age and have not built up adequate savings in their social security savings accounts. By finding employment before taking social security withdrawals, they can build up their accounts and insure a healthier retirement when the time comes. We assist seniors in finding subsidized employment at minimum wage, for a maximum of 14 hours a week.
The primary functions of the SCSEP program are two-fold:
- To provide meaningful part-time subsidized “hands-on” training to low-income seniors aged 55 and older.
- To assist program participants into finding regular jobs in the community.
For an application, please go to one of the HCAP District Service Centers or stop by the Main Office at 33 South King Street, Suite 302, at the corner of Bethel St., in downtown Honolulu. Please call or visit us so we can help you determine your eligibility
- Must be 55 years of age and older.
- Must be a resident of Oahu.
- Must be unemployed at the time of enrollment.
- Must be at or below 125% Federal Poverty Guideline.
Participants are placed into one of our non-profit/governmental training sites on Oahu for hands-on training in the following areas:
- Food service
- Teacher’s Aide, etc.
- Paid hands on training
- Acquire social security credits
- Build social network
- Staying healthy, both mentally and physically
- Subsidized annual physicals (up to $50 per person)
- SCSEP earnings are exempt from federal housing and SNAP income calculations