Hale Kākou – CARES Act Assistance Program
Until further notice, Rental and Mortgage assistance services through the Hale Kākou Program are SUSPENDED. Utility assistance remains AVAILABLE.
No new applications for Rental and Mortgage assistance will be processed at this time. Applications for Utility assistance will continue to be processed.
If you have already applied to the Hale Kākou Program for Rental and Mortgage assistance and your application is pending approval, no action is needed. All pending applications will be revisited subject to future funding availability.
Funded through the Community Services Block Grant CARES Act Federal Funds, HCAP is providing rent, mortgage, and utility assistance for those individuals and households impacted by COVID-19 through loss of employment, reduction of work hours, or other pandemic-related challenges.
Purpose: Homelessness Prevention and Energy Crisis Intervention
Provides: Rent, Mortgage, and Utility Payments
Method: Assistance will be provided by direct payment made by HCAP to landlords, prospective landlords and/or utility companies.
Please call ahead for more information:
Central District Service Center: 488-6834
Kalihi-Palama District Service Center: 847-0804
Leahi District Service Center: 732-7755
Leeward District Service Center: 696-4261
Windward District Service Center: 239-5754
In order to make the application process smooth here are a few tips:
- Gather all requirements together.
- Take a picture or scan documents to the device you will be using to submit your documents.
- If you are taking a picture of the document try to put it on a dark background and make sure picture is as clear as possible.
- Documents sent as pdf are preferred but if you do not have pdf send as jpg.
1. I.D. card for applicant
2. Social security card numbers for all household members
3. Income verification documents for all household members
4. Proof of hardship (May include, but not limited to, pay stubs, documenting pre/post COVID-19 income, unemployment approval letter, layoff letter and rent past due notice.)
5. Client statement on how they were affected by COVID-19.
The following documents may be required based on the assistance requested:
1. Past due utility bill (electric, gas, water)
2. Current utility bill
3. Lease/rental agreement
4. Relevant past due rent notice
5. W9 from landlord